Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Strawberry Shortcake - Happy Birthday to Me

Strawberry Shortcake - Happy Birthday to Me

My dear Chokolovers, I felt like it was a long break but I figure it wasn’t, last week I told you about my birthday and Today I want to share with you the recipe of the cake I bake… it was a Strawberry Shortcake. I hope you love it as I did, it was really yummy and the different flavors were THE BOMB! I’m so hyper about baking that obviously I was ready to tweak the so conventional Strawberry Shortcake with a layer of Matcha green tea, I bet you didn’t expect that, I didn’t either hahaha… it was a last minute addition but I don’t regret it, the result was delish and the Matcha tea made it unique. 


Strawberry Shortcake - Happy Birthday to Me

I chose this Strawberry Shortcake because that was the birthday cake I asked for every birthday party until I was like 6 years old, every year mom and dad went to a fancy bakery shop in Puerto La Cruz, the town in Venezuela where I was born and buy me the very same Strawberry Shortcake, so I though being my favorite cake for so many years why not try to emulate the flavors from those years.

The Strawberry Shortcake is perhaps one of quintessential cakes in bakery because is easy to make and its simplicity makes it perfect for being everybody’s favorite, as you must know the Strawberry Shortcake consists in a vanilla cake filled with pastry cream and strawberries! the icing is whipped cream and this in particular had almonds, pistachios and more strawberries! Point is I wanted to bring back those memories this year so I baked it myself and obvs I can’t imagine myself baking or cooking and not sharing it with you guys! n_n

Strawberry Shortcake - Happy Birthday to Me

To make this even easier I used my personal recipe for Vanilla Cupcakes which you can also use in exchange for cake batter, it results in a very spongy and delicate vanilla cake. The filling was made with an old-fashioned Pastry Cream. You can make the cake batter and the pastry cream the night before assembling… it’s easier for the pastry cream has thicken enough and the cake is easier to cut when is totally cool and dry. In the video I leave you some tips on how to cut the cake for a more finished look. So in theory everything is set and off we go!


Strawberry Shortcake

Vanessa Hernández
Published 07/15/2015
Celebrating my birthday with a mega scrumptious strawberry shortcake with pastry cream, that will become everybody’s favorite!

Ingredients

  • 1 mix of Vanilla Cupcakes
  • 1 tbsp. of Matcha green tea
  • 300 ml of Pastry Cream
  • 1 lt of whipped cream 
  • 500 grs of strawberries
  • 100 grs of almonds, ground
  • 100 grs of pistachios, ground


Instructions

  1. Preheat the oven over 356ºF (180ºC). Divide your batter evenly into 2 different molds, add the matcha tea to one of the batters and combine well. Bake your cakes for 45-60 minutes or when the cake tester come out clean. Unmold and let cool. If you make this the night before wrap it up in plastic and put it in the freezer, believe me it will be easier to cut, 2 hours before assembling your cake defrost and cut the layers.
  2. The pastry cream must be thicken like a pudding so I recommend it to be cold :D 
  3. Whisk the whipped cream adding a few drops of vanilla extract to enhance the flavor and air it a little, if you made your own whipped cream skipped this step ;-) 
  4. Place the first layer and add a line of whipped cream around the layer cake so the filling won’t spill with the weight of the additional layers then add the pastry cream and a a layer of sliced strawberries. Watch the video so you don’t miss anything ;-) Add the rest of the layers with the same instructions until you’re done n_n
  5. Cover the cake with whipped cream, you can use a couple of skewer sticks to secure the layers while assembling.
  6. Cover with ground almonds and pistachios on the sides and refrigerate for 20 minutes, then add the rest of strawberries, and decorate with more whipped cream. 
  7. Refrigerate 2 hours before serving.


Rinde: A 6 inch (16cm) cake.
Prep Time: 01 hrs. 00 mins.
Cook time: 01 hrs. 00 mins.
Total time: 2 hrs. 0 mins.
Tags: Cake, Strawberry Shortcake, Strawberries, Pastry Cream, Birthday, Whipped Cream, Vanilla, Birthday Cakes, Cakes for Every Ocassion, Matcha Green Tea. 

Strawberry Shortcake - Happy Birthday to Me
It was so easy to make this Strawberry Shortcake for my birthday, THANKS again my beloved Chokolovers! For your love and support, you made that day super special, see you again next Friday with more recipes. Kisses everybody! :3 

Strawberry Shortcake - Happy Birthday to Me

For more recipes, tips, any questions or comments visit my Youtube Channel, new recipes every Monday, Wednesday & Friday and a lot of tips any-day! n_n

No comments:

Printfriendly